Being locked out of your home can be a very stressful situation. Perhaps your keys have been misplaced or possibly the door automatically got locked behind after taking the dog out for an early morning walk. No matter the reason for your lockout, A Carolina Locksmith has got you covered. Keep reading to learn more about what lockouts are, common causes, what to do when locked out and lockout prevention tips.
What is a Home Lockout
To put it quite simply, a home lockout is when you are unable to gain access to your home.
Common Causes for Home Lockouts
Don’t worry or stress out. This can happen to anyone, no matter if you are locked out of an apartment, condo, shed, or even a multi-million dollar mansion. We have heard nearly every reason and story about how someone has got themselves locked out of their home. The list is endless but here are some of the most common reasons for being locked out:
- Bent Keys
- Broken Keys
- Broken Lock
- Lost or Misplaced Keys
- Jammed Keys
- Walked Outside with Keys Locked Inside
What to Do If You Are Locked Out of Your Home
We know that being locked out of your home can be stressful, embarrassing, and an annoyance because it takes valuable time out of your day. We urge you not to take drastic measures to regain access to your property.
Too many times we have heard stories of people breaking windows, using tools such as screwdrivers and crowbars to wedge the door open, or even taking a credit card to manipulate the door back open.
Not only can you injure yourself in the process but you could also cause further damage to the door and/or lock.
Here are some handy suggestions should you find yourself locked out:
- Stay calm
- Make sure you are in a safe place. Wait for the locksmith in your vehicle or at a neighbors house
- Do a Google search for “Locksmith Near Me” and click on the one for A Carolina Locksmith
- Keep our phone number, (919) 608-3694, in your contact list so that you can easily call a reliable locksmith at any time.
Our certified locksmiths at A Carolina Locksmith have the proper tools and knowledge to get you back inside in no time.
How to Prevent a Home Lockout
Accidents do happen. But there are ways you can prevent a lockout from happening in the future.
- Maintain your door locks with lock lubrication. You should lubricate your locks 1-4 times each year with WD40 or a silicone lubricant. Properly lubricating your locks ensures that they will be performing their best for years to come.
- Use a large or brightly colored keyring Easily identify your keys and reduce the chances of losing them
- Consider switching to a keyless electronic smart lock system. We can show you options for smart locks and have them professionally installed
Lockouts Don’t Just Happen at Home
Did you know that being locked out is not limited to just homes? Many times we are called to unlock Raleigh area businesses and commercial properties. Some of the most common reasons for commercial lockouts are:
- An employee loses a key
- Someone is out of the office either by being on vacation or out sick
No matter if you are locked out of your home or commercial property, A Carolina Locksmith offers high-quality lockout solutions to get you back inside safely and fast.